Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Oh Lord, make me a Gideon, not a Jonah! (4th Day 37)


Oh Lord, make me a Gideon, not a Jonah!

(Before getting into today's discussion, I want you to know that I decided to change the format for my titles. However, I still want to be reminded that I am still walking my 4th Day Walk, so I am including the nth 4th Day in the title.)

On my way to work today, I got to thinking about a decision I need to make soon. However, I don't have all the facts yet, so I'm not at the decision point yet. However, while I believe I will have to make the decision, I believe that ultimately I will have to do what God wants me to do.

So, I got to thinking (more) about what if I don't like the decision that God guides me to make. (Let's call it like it is. While I don't want to explore or discuss Calvinism or predestination, I do believe that God chooses His servants to do his will, whether they initially want to or not. In other words, God is going to put me where he wants me!)

So, I thought about people that are recorded in the Bible that God used. Two came to mind: Gideon and Jonah. God called on both to serve Him in a way that neither of them wanted or felt ready for. In the end, both complied. However, Gideon became willing to do God's will much earlier and with less personal hardship than Jonah. It took reassurance from God to make Gideon a willing servant; it took three days in the belly of a fish to begin to get Jonah's attention. I would much rather be Gideon!

It's about obedience. When God's calls on us, we really don't have a choice. God's Will is not subject to our preferences or the strength of our convictions. His Will will prevail! I think the sooner we realize that, the sooner we become content with the challenges before us as we work to conform and comply with God's Will.

I pray that God will make me a Gideon when I know in my heart that I'm really a Jonah.

May God Bless you.

De Colores,
Bill
WV88

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home