Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them (4th Day 58)

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)

As I think more about what I wrote yesterday, it occurs to me that a little more must be said. I sometimes wonder if we Christians pay too little attention to the Old Testament. I know I did as an early Christian. But maybe that's normal. However, when I consider what it has to say, what it reveals about God, what it reveals about Jesus, what it reveals about me, I feel foolish that I neglected it for so long.

The Old Testament covers thousands of years; the New Testament covers three. The Old Testament records the interaction between a people and an Invisible God; the New Testament records the Living God among his people. The Old Testament reveals a patient, relenting and forgiving God; the New Testament is God showing us His Love. The Old Testament points toward a coming Messiah; the New Testament presents the Messiah arrived. The Old Testament tells the story of Man's rebellion and separation from God; the New Testament tells of Man's redemption and reconciliation with God.

Jesus said He was the fulfillment of all things promised. Jesus is our God. Thank you, Jesus, for being our God.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.

De Colores,
Bill
WV88

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home