Monday, November 28, 2005

A Unity of Place (4th Day 71)

As I continue to read The Screwtape Letters, I came across an interesting discussion that Screwtape was having with Wormwood. It goes like this as Screwtape is advising Wormwood to send his "patient" (a new Christian) "searching" for a church of his (the patient's) liking.

"...the parochial organisation should always be attached, because, being a unity of place and not of likings, it brings people of different classes and psychology together in the kind of unity the Enemy (God) desires." (The emphasis is mine.)

Unity of place made me really think how important church is. It brings together different parts of the church body so that we may nourish each other spiritually through the work of the Holy Spirit. This is the same thing Paul was describing to the young church in Corinth (1 Corinthians 12) when he was addressing what we can guess to be some internal "issues". Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Unity of place and not of likings shifts our focus from self to God. I know that I have searched over the years to find a church of my liking, and have found it now. I know now that I attend church to worship God, and while I always feel restored after having gone to church, going to church to "feel good" is too fragile a reason. We should always seek a church that focuses on worship and be careful not to allow the search to distract us from following God's lead. He will put us where He wants us for His Good Purpose and Will.

Again, I recommend The Screwtape Letters to you. You will find it interesting and look differently on your Christian journey.

May God Bless you and keep you.

De Colores,
Bill
WV88

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home